“But I like fiction” you say. Well transportation fiction is a narrow category. Here are some books and stories I liked for which the transportation technologies are important elements.
- The Financier, The Titan, and The Stoic – Theodore Dreiser’s Trilogy of Desire
- The Roads Must Roll – Robert Heinlein
- The Trail of the Hawk – Sinclair Lewis (not Sinclair Lewis’s best, that would be Main Street, Babbitt, or Arrowsmith, but a really nice picture about the changes brought by the then new car)
- The Shape of Things to Come – HG Wells (the movie and book)
- The Odyssey – some dude named Homer
Suggest more in the comments